Thursday, April 21, 2011

Stir the cookie dough.

I always thought that my parents would be the type to play and be active with my children.  At 60 and 62 they should be young enough right?!  I wanted my children to have the type of grandparents that are in books.  The type that are always happy and play all the time.  The type that let you break the eggs and stir the cookie dough. 

About 5 years ago my dad had a stroke.  It wasn't a bad one at all.  He was in the hospital for about three days and then seemed fine.  He went back to work right away and was feeling great.  The week after he had another only this time he didn't bounce back as fast.  He had to stop working.  That was like taking part of his soul.  He is diabetic so he had problems before.  For the last five years everything has gotten worse.

My mom has scoliosis (lucky me that I get to have it too)  and has a lot of pain.  She trys to do as much as she can, but that isn't much anymore.  She also has a bad heart.  She puts up with a lot from my dad.  He's kind of a pain sometimes.

My in-laws are older than my parents, not by much.  My father-in-law is also diabetic and my mother-in-law has a bad heart too.  However they do a LOT more "fun" things with the boys.  They took care of  the boys in the summer when I worked.  I would come home and they would be playing tag in the back yard.  They made up a game that they called "Wicked Witch" and grandma would be the witch.  She loved playing that game.  One time she had a friend over.  Adam told her that Grandma was "the wicked witch"  and she was shocked until it was explained.  Lately they too have been sick and not as active.

I always thought that our children would be much older when our parents stopped being so active.  I guess I was wrong.  I know that they will always try to have as much fun as possible with they're grandkids.  I also know that a good game of "Wicked Witch" is in the mix soon. We have been blessed to have the parents that we have.  They would do anything we needed them to do.  I have so much more that I could say about them but today starts our spring break and my family is outside waiting on me.

1 comment:

  1. This was fun to read Connie!! Keep them coming :)


    By the way...its Nicole! This was my blog for a communications class at U of M!

    ReplyDelete