Friday, April 22, 2011

My love...

Ok I have a confession to make.  This is one that many of you may already know but I don't just go around telling everyone.  I have a love.  It's oatmeal.  I really, truely, deeply love oatmeal.  I eat it almost everyday.  My boys also love oatmeal.  These days my husband even gets in on the pleasure of it.  He has taken a container of it to work to leave in his locker.  I don't buy the little packets because it doesn't last long enough. We need the big tub of oatmeal at our house.  About a month ago I got caught eating it, uncooked, right out of the container.

This love started as a kid.  My mom usually made us breakfast every morning.  On school days it was always something easy like eggs or a hot cereal.  My brother loved Cocoa Wheats.  Mom likes Cream of Wheat with some peanut butter mixed in.  It really is good, kind of like Peanut Butter Captain Crunch.  I, however, loved oatmeal day.  It was best on a cold, snowy morning.  Mom always put in some brown sugar and  a little milk.  Now it's brown sugar and cinnamon.  I can remember getting up and heading to the kitchen in my Strawberry shortcake nightgown and having the warm bowl waiting for me.

So why am i going on about oatmeal?  I really have no idea other than it's what me and the boys ate for dinner.  Kind of strange I know.  My husband had already left for work and the kids were getting hungry.  I had just had a really crazy week and now Josh was not feeling well.  You know what that means...easiest, fastest, meal I could find.  OATMEAL!  Not really the first thing you think of when you think breakfast for dinner.  I know, but its fast, hot and very heathy!  I truely think that oatmeal is one of the main reason the I don't have a cholesterol problem.  I mean really anyone who knows my family knows it all about the beef!

So that is my confession!  I have a love affair with oatmeal, and now the rest of my family is becoming hook as well.

For some crazy reason I was just reminded of the Life cereal commercal from the '80's with Mikey.

Anyway, here's to all my oatmeal eating friends and your healthy hearts!!

1 comment:

  1. mmmmm, My grandma used to make it with a touch of brown sugar and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. It may sound odd, but it was soooooooo yummy. Now I suddenly feel the need to go buy some oatmeal. :0)

    ReplyDelete